Why don’t people read anymore? Have we been so dumbed down by a school system that doesn’t teach to accept headlines from websites as factual without further research? Or is a ‘scary’ headline enough?
Natural News, Prisonplanet, Anti-war.com (original), New American, the intel hub, PPJ gazette and Rense.com all have articles claiming that Senate Bill 1867 will place Americans in jail permanently as terrorists. I believe the first article came from Rense.com, but now the internet is filled with disinformation on Senate Bill 1867.
The truth is even more scary but people don’t want to do the research to see that when the Trading With The Enemy Act was amended under Franklin D. Roosevelt it made all Americans the enemy.
So it is time to look at S. 1867 and with most websites refer to Sections 1031 – 1032.
Subtitle D –Detainee Matters
SEC. 1031. AFFIRMATION OF AUTHORITY OF THE ARMEDFORCES OF THE UNITED STATES TO DETAINCOVERED PERSONS PURSUANT TO THE AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF MILITARY FORCE.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Congress affirms that the authority of the President to use all necessary and appropriate force pursuant to the Authorization for Use of Military Force (Public Law 107–40) includes the authority for the Armed Forces of the United States to detain covered persons (as defined in subsection (b)) pending disposition under the law of war. ((b) will tell us ‘who’ is covered for detainment.)
(b) COVERED PERSONS.—A covered person under this section is any person as follows: (1) A person who planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored those responsible for those attacks. (2) A person who was a part of or substantially supported al-Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated forces that are engaged in hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners, including any person who has committed a belligerent act or has directly supported such hostilities in aid of such enemy forces. (Did you harbor any terrorist responsible for the 9-11 attacks, help plan the attacks, aided the terrorist attacks, authorized the attacks, or directly supported such hostilities? . . . No? Then it doesn’t apply to you. )
(c) DISPOSITION UNDER LAW OF WAR. 1- 4 (this deals with the court system)
(d) CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section is intended to limit or expand the authority of the President or the scope of the Authorization for Use of Military Force. (Nothing to limit current or expand Presidential authiority – so much for ending posse comitatus as some websites have reported.)
(e) REQUIREMENT FOR BRIEFINGS OF CONGRESS.—The Secretary of Defense shall regularly brief Congress regarding the application of the authority described in this section, including the organizations, entities, and individuals considered to be ‘‘covered persons’’ for purposes of 2 subsection (b)(2).
(e) REQUIREMENT FOR BRIEFINGS OF CONGRESS.—The Secretary of Defense shall regularly brief Congress regarding the application of the authority described in this section, including the organizations, entities, and individuals considered to be ‘‘covered persons’’ for purposes of 2 subsection (b)(2). (The statute was passed, changing the organizations and individuals will take a new statute.)
SEC. 1032. REQUIREMENT FOR MILITARY CUSTODY
(a) CUSTODY PENDING DISPOSITION UNDER LAW OF WAR.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in paragraph (4), the Armed Forces of the United States shall hold a person described in paragraph (2) who is captured in the course of hostilities authorized by the Authorization for Use of Military Force (Public Law 107–40) in military custody pending disposition under the law of war.
(2) Covered Persons- The requirement in paragraph (1) shall apply to any person whose detention is authorized under section 1031 who is determined—
(A) to be a member a member of, or part of, al-Qaeda or an associated force that acts in coordination with or pursuant to the direction of al-Qaeda; and
(B) to have participated in the course of planning or carrying out an attack or attempted attack against the United States or its coalition partners.
(3) Disposition under law of war (Once again referring to courts and that foreign courts on transfers of prisoners.)
(4) WAIVER FOR NATIONAL SECURITY.—The Secretary of Defense may, in consultation with the Secretary of State and the Director of National Intelligence, waive the requirement of paragraph (1) if the Secretary submits to Congress a certification in writing that such a waiver is in the national security interests of the United States. (Are you a National Security risk? Or so far has anything been implied, or directed towards you as a ‘covered person’?)
(b) APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES CITIZENSAND LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.— (1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS.—The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to citizens of the United States (Some websites say the language is not strong enough here, mainly “Battlefield USA” and quotes Alex Jones, who should be in prison for what he tried to do on Y2K. For those unfamiliar with what Alex Jones did, he announced the Russians had launched nuclear tipped missiles on Y2K. Replace 9-11 with Y2K and this legislation would apply to Alex Jones. Ever notice you will never see any article from any of Jone’s websites here?)
(2) LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.—The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to a lawful resident alien of the United States on the basis of conduct taking place within the United States, except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States. (The previous link to “Battlefield USA” is worried about the American citizens but never mentions this section. This section protects lawful aliens with the Constitution. Lawful aliens are protected by the Constitution but American citizens are not? Give me a break!! Of coarse American citizens are protected. The author fails to realize that both sections are under a main Section Subtitle D – Detainee Matters and that both Section 1031 and Section 1032 were meant to be read together.)
(a) CUSTODY PENDING DISPOSITION UNDER LAW OF W